Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Plannin' and Dreamin'...

 IAmPregnant Ticker

Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' each night of his charms
That won't get him into my arms

Okay, so I may be taking some liberties with the old Dionne Warwick song, but the essential message is the same: if wishes were horses, beggars would ride. I'm 39 weeks pregnant today, 4 cm dilated and waiting for everything to start. I went to see my OB/GYN yesterday and she expressed surprise that I was still pregnant. Trust me, after several false starts over the past 3 weeks, I'm surprised, too. Even my Gmail seems surprised, as these past two weeks I've ceased receiving my weekly prenatal updates from various and sundry websites that I've been perusing during pregnancy.

Yes, I know, I'm not even technically at my due date yet, but with everyone in my family delivering early (even with the first one), I half expected to be in a similar boat. After weeks of co-workers marveling "you're still here?!" and daily texts from family and friends alike "just checking in," I can't help but feel a bit of pressure to get on with things -- as if I had any control of it!

Well, I suppose I have some control of it. These days an induction after 39 weeks is offered up as an option without any required medical need whatsoever. And that makes me a bit nervous. Shouldn't we wait until the baby is good and ready? Isn't it also true that the average pregnancy actually runs longer than the 40 weeks allocated to women by their doctors? The answer to both is "yes"...and yet....

 Pregnancy Ticker

Now that I find myself at this late stage of pregnancy, I'm suddenly very sympathetic with women who elect to make this decision. Indeed, there's some comfort in having a firm deadline, in being able to wrap up things at the office in a definitive manner without the vague (and often unhelpful) "I'll be here 'til the baby comes...whenever that is" response. A response, by the way, that my clients have not been particularly receptive of. Everybody likes a due date, a deadline, a goal. Letting nature take its course is so antithetical to modern life, where we attempt to control everything. Patience and flexibility just don't seem to jive with our schedules.

So what have I decided to do? Well, I've currently got an induction scheduled for Friday, which would require Dave and I to show up at the hospital at the unholy hour of 4 am in the hopes of having a baby sometime before COB (close of business) on Friday. Very convenient for my doctor, yes? I'm justifying this decision on account of my (normally very low) blood pressure having creeped up in the past few weeks. While not at dangerous levels, this upward trend is somewhat worrisome. In the interim, I'm working from home, walking twice a day and praying to God that he'll come of his own volition. If not? Then I suppose I'll let Science take his course and pray that I'm not making the wrong decision.

27 comments:

Lauren said...

March 4th is a good birthday, but would be pretty cool if Baby G decides to come tomorrow. There is no better day for a (what - 6th?) generation Texan to be born than on March 2nd :)

Julie said...

Averill, I'm in the same boat. 40 weeks today and the OB's office is chomping at the bit to induce. I also get, "wait ... you're STILL pregnant?" Seems like everyone I know lately has gone early .... except for me! I'm thinking about an induction next weekend. Good luck you .... to both of us!

Bria said...

I was just thinking about you this morning and wondering how/if things were progressing. Hang in there this week!

Christy said...

You are ABSOLUTELY making the right decision. And if you change your mind between now and then, well then that's the right thing for you. That's the thing about parenthood - you're in charge. No one can make these big decisions for you - but I know you're good at that, being a lawyer and all! :) I know how scary this time can be - wish I could give you a great big huge and a chocolate pie! Hang in there! He'll be here before you know it, and seriously, your life will never be the same. It will AWESOME!!!

Robin said...

LOLOL you're not remotely in charge! Not ever again . . .

Good luck, Averill! I hope he decides to make his debut tonight.

Robin (friend of your mom)

Alicia said...

Breathe. Thats my best advice. Do what feels best for you & baby. Love & prayers for a wonderful week.
Alicia

Daniela said...

The waiting game is certainly the hardest! Romy came 7 days late and that was torture! With Cayden being 3 weeks early I was certain that Romy would be early, but no, she was on her own schedule, and she still is today! Keep us posted! You know I am crossing my fingers for things to move along naturally!

Valerie said...

Yikes, I hope he makes his appearance before Friday. Inductions so often lead to c-sections (I know, it happened to me). I'd say start walking...ALOT. :)

L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Girl, if you think its best then it's best! No need to worry about anything else. Hopefully he'll come without needing a push!

Anne said...

Hugs and kisses from North Cackalacky! It's the last thing you'll have control over with the kiddo, so you may as well take it all the way. :) Maybe he'll make his much-awaited debut tomorrow and share a birthday with the most awesome Guatemalan ever ;). Thinking about you and Dave, and hoping for a safe delivery (spontaneous and otherwise)!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I wouldn't be able to handle the anticipation!! This is so exciting, and of course you should make whatever educated decisions work best for you and your family!! Or that's my opinion, at least. :) Friday will be here before you know it!

Interior Design Musings said...

I realized with my first baby that God makes you so uncomfortable that you are actually ready for some labor pains. I remember clapping when my water broke with my first. Before I had a baby, the thought of clapping for labor pains would have freaked me out! Good Luck. I had one baby without induction and one with induction and both were fine! M.
www.interiordesignmusings.blogspot.com

A Loopy Life said...

I have an induction scheduled as well, although I'm hoping baby H decides to come on his own before then. :) Good luck and can't wait to meet your baby!

Sarah said...

39 weeks!! Woo hooo!!! Congrats, Averill! So exciting, he could be here any day...and I guess he will - Friday at the latest:) I might be in the minority, but as excited as I was to meet my little girl after 9 months, I really enjoyed the last few days/weeks of the pregnancy and wasn't really in a hurry for her to come early. I think letting MOTHER nature take her course is the best thing. Unless there is a problem with you or him or if you are really late. Having said all that, Maura was born at 9:17pm on a Friday night and it was a really good time to have a baby. That way we were in the hospital over the weekend and it was easier for guests to come and see us. Because we delivered after 8pm, we got to stay one extra night in the hospital and checked out Monday am instead of Sunday pm (very nice). Whatever you decide is what's right for you and Baby G...just don't let those doctors push you around cause they want to get home for dinner;) We'll all be thinking about you....good luck, girl!

Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Averill, congrats!!! Ah, this brings back memories....I was induced both times and the first b/c of creeping blood pressure so they induced on a Friday (only a couple of days early). Just a warning....they told me I'd be induced in the early AM and to be ready for a long day....both of my kids were born within hours of being induced. My DR almost missed the birth of my son. So, here is to quick and painless for you and the joy of motherhood in a few short days.

Ann said...

I've experienced the same with my son...
He won't come out and I feel no pain...
So he was induced and I got a C-section ♥
Oh but it was all worth it ♥

Laura@JourneyChic said...

Hmmm - that's unusual that they'd induce at 39wks, but I guess every doc is different. I was almost 42 weeks when I was induced. Good luck - induction isn't always easy so I hope that it is for you! The baby will *still* come on his own time. Hopefully not like my son, who refused to come out despite 48 hours of Pitocin and the water being broken. Good news is, you won't leave the hospital without your baby!

Treat yourself to an amazing night out on Thursday, because it'll be a while before you have one again. ;)

Aesthetic Oiseau said...

Good luck Averill! I'll be thinking about you!

Patricia Shepard said...

Sending lots of love! Follow your heart, Mama!

Susan @ Real Girl Designs said...

Good luck, Averill! I'm glad you're working from home this final week of your pregnancy - when my son was born, I'd had an OB/GYN appointment that morning, and was told to come back the following week (as I wasn't due for another two weeks). Back in my office an hour later, and my water broke. My husband had gone out of state on a day trip, so it was a crazy day! He eventually made it back, an hour before our son arrived.

Liz said...

FYI Pitocin will make your contractions come on very strong. I was not informed of this prior to being induced and it really should be a public service announcement. So have that epidural ready :)

Unknown said...

There is no "wrong" or "right" from here on in with EVERYTHING...which is liberating, but scary too...you do what's right for you and your family...you are the parents....so exciting!!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of a doctor inducing at 39 weeks, although I'm sure it's perfectly safe. What gives me pause is that a due date isn't an exact science. I had a c-section at 40 weeks, because they discovered my baby might be 12 pounds (she was 10). She was not budging, and I really think my due date was a little off and she'd have been overdue anyway.

Good luck with everything! To be honest, I found having a newborn to be totally overwhelming, but I just adore my daughter now.

stacy said...

Sending good thoughts! Either way you are considering all the right things ...how exciting. Hope you have some down time to enjoy a last dinner out or at least dessert?

Kate Coveny Hood said...

Probably too late for a pre-baby comment... But Oliver was a week late and I was induced. Either way - it's so exciting and I can't wait to see pictures when you are back at home. Love to you and the little angel!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Averill I've been thinking of you and here you were likely today bring your sweet baby into the world. I hope all went very well. It's such a different world now. When I had my children, all 4 were 2 wks late and the last baby had to be induced. You are right though, it's a world where everyone is more impatient and want it when they want it. Sending all my best to you, Dave and your new bundle of joy.

x Deb

Sarah Klassen said...

Averill, you have been on my mind this entire week! I hope all is superb today and that the little Mister has decided that now is the time :) I will include you and he in my prayers tonight. Cannot wait to hear more soon!

xoxo,
Sarah

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails